Friday, October 2, 2009

Siena




Before this most recent trip to Italy, I had only visited the Tuscan region of Italy twice. Once for an afternoon trip to Pisa (highly overrated in my opinion) and once for a weekend trip to Florence.

This most recent trip to Italy, my grandfather suggested we visit Siena. Siena is a very cool little spot. To get there, we drove through the Tuscan countryside, and it is spectacular. There are so many hilltop towns that you could stop and wander through, fields upon fields of sunflowers, and vineyards left and right.

Siena is one of those hilltop towns. The old part of the city has cobbled streets, buildings and castles and overpass tunnels, and it's very cool. We were only there for the day, but I would love to see it at night. Their duomo is very cool, with a somewhat Moroccan feel to it. Across from the duomo is a large arch that you can climb to get a spectacular view of the city. It's a very warm city, in terms of environment, and one I could revisit just to see some of the other sites I missed.

No comments: